Director of Corporate RelationsCompany: University of Central Missouri
Date Posted: December 20, 2017
The University of Central Missouri is building and expanding our philanthropic development and alumni relations programs. This is an exciting time to join our University Advancement team. We are seeking to hire individuals who want to work for our University and are passionate about:
- The vital impact higher education has on the economy and quality of life.
- The importance of ensuring that all people have access to affordable public higher education.
- The power of philanthropy, building long-term relationships and friendships with donors, asking for gifts, and helping people and companies support UCM by giving to student scholarships, programs, and initiatives they especially care about.
- The continued advancement of the University of Central Missouri, and our reputation for academic excellence and preparing students for fulfilling and productive lives and careers.
The Office of University Advancement, working with the UCM Alumni Foundation Board of Directors, builds relationships with individuals and organizations, secures and distributes philanthropic support, implements a comprehensive alumni program, and promotes volunteerism to help advance UCM. The value of endowment funds managed and invested by the UCM Alumni Foundation has grown to over $40 million and all assets total over $55 million.
UCM serves nearly 13,000 students in Warrensburg and recently helped develop the Missouri Innovation Campus in Lee’s Summit. Over 50% of UCM’s 100,000 alumni live in the Kansas City area and west-central Missouri. UCM’s other alumni live throughout Missouri, the United States, and around the world. Founded in 1871, UCM will celebrate its 150th anniversary in 2021. Here is a link to UCM’s website: https://www.ucmo.edu/.
(NOTE: The Director of Corporate Relations will be based in the Kansas City area and have an office at the new Missouri Innovation Campus in Lee’s Summit.)
Primary responsibilities of the Director of Corporate Relations include:
- Be a productive fundraising professional and excellent ambassador of the University of Central Missouri.
- Serve as a leader and key member of a UCM team that builds and maintains comprehensive strategic relationships for the University with corporations and businesses. Utilize and coordinate with UCM academic administrators, collegiate units, academic departments, Career Services Office, and UCM faculty and staff who help set up student internship and co-op opportunities at companies.
- Focus primarily on companies that employ several UCM alumni and actively recruit and hire new graduates of UCM.
- Cultivate and solicit companies and company foundations to increase their philanthropic investment in UCM. Secure philanthropic contributions in support of student scholarships, academic programs, buildings and facilities, endowed faculty chairs and professorships, etc.
- In addition to cash contributions, solicit and secure gifts-in-kind of equipment, computer hardware and software, and furnishings. Identify companies that manufacture or produce items needed by UCM academic programs for teaching, training, and research and ask these companies for gifts-in-kind of these items.
- Travel locally, regionally, and nationally at least 35% time to meet with representatives of corporations and businesses. Focus most time and effort on companies in the Kansas City area, west-central Missouri, and other areas of the state.
- Provide excellent stewardship of corporations and businesses for their gift support. Report to donors how their gifts have been used to make a positive difference at the University and to support students.
- Create a UCM Corporate Partners program to provide recognition to companies at various levels of annual giving and all-time cumulative giving.
- Meet fundraising financial and productivity goals.
- Be an active member of the UCM Office of University Advancement team. Share information with the Vice President and other development and alumni staff so that all members of the team are well informed about recent and planned contacts, gift solicitations, etc.
How to Apply
Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of successful work experience in full-time positions.
Preferred: At least five years of successful experience in fundraising, sales, public relations, communications, etc.
Preferred: Knowledge of Kansas City area corporations and businesses, and positive relationships with executives of Kansas City area companies.
Preferred: Experience traveling on business regionally and nationally.
To apply for the Director of Corporate Relations position, go to the UCM Office of Human Resources webpage https://jobs.ucmo.edu/postings/17616 and then click “Apply for this Job.”
Applicants must submit: (1) a cover letter communicating their interest in the position and their talents, qualifications, and experience; (2) resume; (3) names and contact information of three references.
UCM application for employment required. Incomplete applications WILL NOT be considered. A background check is required for the selected candidate of this position and any job offer is contingent on the results of this check.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Apply as soon as possible. This position is open until filled.