Director of Development (three positions available)Company: University of Central Missouri
Date Posted: December 20, 2017
The University of Central Missouri is building and expanding its philanthropic development and alumni relations programs. This is an exciting time to join our University Advancement team. We are seeking to hire individuals who want to work for our University and are passionate about:
- The vital impact higher education has on the economy and quality of life.
- The importance of ensuring that all people have access to affordable public higher education.
- The power of philanthropy, building long-term relationships and friendships with donors, asking for gifts, and helping people support UCM by giving to student scholarships, programs, and initiatives they especially care about.
- The continued advancement of the University of Central Missouri, and our reputation for academic excellence and for preparing students for fulfilling and productive lives and careers.
The Office of University Advancement, working with the UCM Alumni Foundation Board of Directors, builds relationships with individuals and organizations, secures and distributes philanthropic support, implements a comprehensive alumni program, and promotes volunteerism to help advance UCM. The value of all endowment funds managed and invested by the UCM Alumni Foundation has grown to over $40 million and all assets total over $55 million.
UCM serves nearly 13,000 students in Warrensburg and recently helped develop the Missouri Innovation Campus in Lee’s Summit. Over 50% of UCM’s 100,000 alumni live in the Kansas City area and west-central Missouri. UCM’s other alumni live throughout Missouri, the United States, and around the world. Founded in 1871, UCM will celebrate its 150th anniversary in 2021. Here is a link to UCM’s website: https://www.ucmo.edu/.
Primary responsibilities of a Director of Development include:
- Be a productive fundraising professional and excellent ambassador of the University of Central Missouri.
- Develop long-term relationships for UCM with alumni and other individuals who have the financial capacity and desire to make major gifts, leadership annual gifts, and planned gifts.
- Solicit and secure philanthropic contributions in support of UCM, including student scholarships, academic programs, library, intercollegiate athletics, the arts, buildings and facilities, endowed faculty chairs and professorships, etc. Match the donor’s interests with the fundraising priorities of the University.
- Travel at least 35% time to meet with individuals. Focus most time on individuals in the Kansas City area, west-central Missouri, and other areas of Missouri. In addition, travel to assigned U.S. states and cities where UCM has several major-gift donors and prospects.
- Help provide stewardship of assigned donors and their gifts.
- Serve as primary Development staff liaison to an assigned collegiate unit or other UCM unit/program. Meet with the dean/director, department chairs, faculty, and staff to identify fundraising priorities and giving/naming opportunities. Share this information with the VP/Executive Director and other Development staff so that all members of the Development team are well informed about the unit and its fundraising needs and opportunities.
- Meet fundraising financial goals and goals for substantive personal visits, phone calls, gift solicitations/proposals, and other productivity metrics.
How to Apply
Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of work experience in full-time positions.
Preferred: At least three years of successful experience in fundraising, sales, public relations, communications, etc.
Preferred: Experience traveling regionally and nationally.
To apply for a Director of Development position, go to the UCM Office of Human Resources webpage https://jobs.ucmo.edu/postings/17619 and then click “Apply for this Job.”
Applicants must submit: (1) a cover letter communicating their interest in the position and their talents, qualifications, and experience; (2) resume; (3) names and contact information of three references.
UCM application for employment required. Incomplete applications WILL NOT be considered. A background check is required for the selected candidate of each position and any job offer is contingent on the results of this check.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Apply as soon as possible. These positions are open until filled.