Director of DevelopmentCompany: YMCA of Greater Kansas City
Date Posted: January 25, 2017
Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development has responsibility for day-to-day planning, coordination, and management of a comprehensive program for identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gifts that support annual, sponsorships and planned giving initiatives. This position is both strategic and tactical, working closely with leadership volunteers and associates.
- Work in partnership with the development team, campaign leaders and volunteers to set priorities and goals for overall campaigns.
- Work with other development team members, campaign leaders, and volunteers in creating and implementing solicitation strategies for major gift prospects.
- Works with associates (changed from employees), consultants, board members and other volunteers to identify and personally solicit gifts from foundations, corporations, community organizations and selected individuals as planned.
- Develop and implement an on-going planned giving program by working with the Foundation Board to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects.
- Identify and manage a portfolio of up to 100 major donor prospects that have a gift capacity of $5,000 or more.
- Work collaboratively with marketing team and key leaders to create customized content or presentations as collateral for use in sponsorship presentations.
- Design, implement, and manage sponsorship plans focused on growing sponsorships across all areas.
- Work closely with appropriate professionals to ensure that sponsor agreements are executed and managed appropriately.
- Introduces new projects and fundraising concepts to ensure long-term and immediate fundraising for the organization.
- Develops and coordinates a plan for donor recognition, retention, renewal, and upgrade.
- Provide leadership for associate and volunteer training that includes up to date and effective financial development methods.
- Represents organization and builds relationships at various annual campaign, foundation or related financial development events.
- Manage the collection of campaign prospect information and work with development team to input and track appropriately in donor database.
- Prepare ongoing updates, reports and briefing materials on sponsorships, major gifts and foundation prospects.
- Assist in the planning of cultivation events and stewardship for major donors.
- Assist in the implementation of public relations plan for annual giving activities
- Build a collaborative, team-oriented environment among Y leaders and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college or university. Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRM) or Certified Fund Raising Management (CFRM) designation desirable.
- Minimum of five years non-profit development experience required, including substantial professional experience in the personal attainment of major gifts (not just as a team member).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to include: verbal, written, presentation, facilitation and negotiation.
- Ability to forge productive working relationships with people at all levels within the Y organization and the diverse communities we serve.
- Able to make independent and sound decisions in a fast paced environment.
- Able to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to work outside standard work hours and to travel locally and nationally.
- Must maintain a current motor vehicle license and acceptable driving record that meets YMCA standards.
For more information or to apply for this position, click here.