Director of DevelopmentCompany: United Inner City Services
Date Posted: April 27, 2017
Position: Director of Development
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
United Inner City Services (“UICS”) is a multi-service community based agency that has served the 12th Street downtown Kansas City, Missouri corridor since 1967. The core activity of United Inner City Services is the St. Mark Child and Family Development Center. For more than 40 years, the Center has met the urgent needs of neighborhood families for quality early childhood education. Working to achieve its mission of “strengthening families to succeed”, UICS serves the community by providing additional program services of emergency assistance, employment education, housing, homelessness prevention, and trauma-informed supports.
The Director of Development is responsible for developing and maintaining meaningful relationships that ensure the agency’s visibility and financial strength. This includes; designing and implementing United Inner City Service’s development plan and coordinating marketing activities. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is responsible for achieving the organization's short and long-term fundraising goals. Primary responsibilities include creating and implementing an annual development plan; managing fundraising events; coordinating marketing and public relations initiatives; overseeing corporate and foundation solicitation efforts; major gifts; and the annual giving program.
- Craft a yearly development plan to achieve annual revenue goals
- Take lead role in management of the long range fund development planning.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential funding sources, and oversee communications with donors.
- Manage grant making process, including the research, preparation and submission of grant applications/proposals and track grant funding.
- Manage the preparation and submission of grant reports, and facilitate communication with foundations.
- Expand a sustained individual donor base using all appropriate methods, including Sumac software
- Assist in planning and executing agency fundraising events, including tours and open houses, annual events and special events.
- Take lead role in public relations initiatives to expand visibility of UICS and its programs.
- Represent the organization in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Additional qualifications should include:
- A Bachelor's degree, or advanced graduate degree, and/or applicable experience.
- Minimum three years of professional experience in fundraising and development, with a thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base.
- Experience working with senior level executives in corporations and/or foundations.
- Public relations and non-profit marketing experience is a plus.
- Must have strong organizational skills, including ability to plan based on deadlines, and ability to work independently to manage a variety of fundraising activities simultaneously.
- Excellent record-keeping ability, and experience in preparing and monitoring budgets and related reports, including proficient use of technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Board, staff, volunteers, donors and community members.
- High energy and enthusiasm, coupled with strong work ethic and ability to work under pressure.
- Supervisory and management experience leading a development and marketing team.
- Proven record of successfully cultivating donors and meeting fundraising goals.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and two grant writing
samples to Brittany Duncan, Officer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org