Advancement AssociateCompany: Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Date Posted: April 14, 2017
Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Youth Symphony of Kansas City is pleased to welcome applicants for a part-time Advancement Associate to join its team.
Analytical, proactive and thorough. Puzzle-lover. You possess an incredible knack for connecting the dots between who knows whom and the where, how and all that lies between. Researcher, fact-finder and analyzer extraordinaire. Grammar commander, concise writer and communicator.
The Advancement Associate is responsible for writing and compiling all proposals for funding – foundation, corporate and individual – and assist with annual and other special appeals.
The Advancement Associate reports to the Director of Advancement and supports the director’s efforts by crafting proposals, writing appeals and vetting and researching prospective sources of funding in order to achieve contributed revenue goals to meet the needs of the orchestral education program.
Youth Symphony of Kansas City is a vibrant music education organization that provides enhanced orchestral experiences and builds the present and future classical music community. Through its four full orchestras and strings program, approximately 400 students participate annually, bringing live symphonic music to more than 15,000 annually in free concerts throughout the Kansas City Metropolitan Area.
Students audition annually to be considered for the program; in each of the two most recent audition cycles, 600+ musicians auditioned. Students perform concerts before community-wide audiences in cherished venues such as Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, the Folly Theater, Yardley Hall, the Gem Theater and others throughout the area. The organization is poised for tremendous growth and in April 2015, relocated its administrative offices to the bustling Crossroads Arts District. In June 2016, 100 musicians participated in the Youth Symphony’s Ireland Tour – its first international tour in a decade. The organization celebrates its 60th Anniversary in the 2018-2019 season.
At a time when some smaller arts organizations have struggled, Youth Symphony of Kansas City continues to thrive with steadily increasing interest in its programming, a commitment to engaging in new collaborations and a history of quality educational experiences and fiscal responsibility.
Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Position Title: Advancement Associate
Structure: Part-Time, hourly
Supervisor: Director of Advancement
Fund Development: Proposal and Grant Writing/Management
- Generate funding proposals to foundations and corporations, prepare supplemental
materials and documents for prospective donors
- Create and manage grant calendar, including schedule of grant applications and reporting to foundations, government agencies, etc.
- Compose profiles and biographies using style, grammar and content appropriate to specific audiences. Extract and communicate key information which directs cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Prepare and run reports from Salesforce to facilitate acknowledgement and stewardship initiatives
Fund Development: Prospect Research and Analysis
- Research and recommend new and continuing funding opportunities, including, but not limited to, foundations, government, corporations, individual prospects and matching gift programs
- Proactively and independently make recommendations of major funders ($1,000+) using creative research techniques and electronic search methodologies to ensure a sufficient prospect pipeline in support of fundraising goals
- Compile high-level research on individuals, corporations, and foundations using a wide variety of biographical, organizational and financial sources, including Internet websites, library and government sources and other external repositories of public information
- Analyze and synthesize accumulated information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic tendencies, giving propensity and linkage to YSKC. Evaluate results to develop and implement further research strategies utilizing ethical intelligence-gathering techniques.
- Identify funding opportunities for new program areas to match client’s priorities using research tools
- Maintain grant folder with up-to-date documents for funders
- Create donor, corporate and grant profiles as requested in preparation of cultivation meetings
- Generate annual appeal materials and mailing lists, manage mailings and acknowledgement letters
- Assist with creating donor communication pieces including newsletters and managing schedule and mailing
- As needed, assist in planning for special donor-related initiatives including receptions, events,
directed communications, etc.
- Assist Director of Advancement as needed
- Attend organizational (Board, committee, etc.) meetings and assist by taking minutes
- Prepare agendas and packets for distribution in advance of meetings
- Process incoming charitable contributions in coordination with Operations Assistant; communicate with Support Kansas City to ensure accuracy and integrity in database entry
- Maintain database entries, primarily alumni and contributors
- Be familiar with Salesforce or be able to become highly-skilled within Salesforce (constituent database)
- Generate and run reports from Salesforce as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree;
PREFERRED: previous experience within a non-profit environment, previous experience in proposal writing
- Proactive, accountable and professional
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills
- Works well in a team setting and independently
- Sense of humor and flexibility
- Creative thinker, with ability to receive direction
- Advanced computer abilities in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Acrobat, Google Docs; working knowledge of Salesforce, or other general database management principles
Benefits: No benefits are associated with this part-time position.
Workload: Approximately 20-25 hours/week. Must be available to work in-office within regular hours of 8:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, ideally 4-6 hours per working day. Offers of employment are contingent upon the results of a criminal background check to be executed during the final stages of the hiring process.
To apply: Send a letter of application, resume, references and professional writing sample via email to email@example.com. Materials should be in PDF or Microsoft Word format.
Application deadline is Monday, May 1. No phone calls, please.